Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Dreamlover Come Rescue Me...


What was your first tape? Or CD? Or for you young guns ITunes download?

I remember mine like it was yesterday. It was Christmas morning, 1993 and Santa brought me a boombox with both Mariah Carey's and Whitney Houston's above albums. Although, it wasn't really Whitney's album, it was a soundtrack. Whatever, details. Yes, I had been a very good girl that year.

Wait. What? You don't know what a boombox is? Oh, well before Ipods and IPhones, this is what us grandmas used:

I kid you not.

Anyways, I wore those tapes out! Hits like Dreamlover and Hero paired with I Will Always Love You and Run to You, they're songs girls everywhere sang into their hair brushes while wearing plaid shirts and cutoff shorts. These songs were on repeat all the time. By repeat I mean I would literally have to push Play > Rewind > Play > Rewind and hope I didn't go too far back (times were tough). I bet I have them somewhere tucked away in the garage.  

I'm such a huge fans of these women to this day. Mariah may be a bit goofy, but boy that chick can sing! I own all of her albums and Dreamlover is still one of my favorite songs. I can't wait to see her on American Idol-  Paula Abdul 2.0?

Want to know something crazy? To this day, I remember every single word to these albums (I've updated to ITunes for these classics). Isn't it nuts how you will hear a song you haven't heard in years and still remember every beat?

So, tell me, what was your first album? Which was your favorite song?

16 comments :

Schnelle said...

OMG memories! I can't remember which was my first but I can tell you my favorites: Mariah Carey, The Bodyguard, Madonna, and Janet Jackson!

Unknown said...

Those are awesome first CDs. My First CD was Mariah Carey's Christmas Album, which is STILL one of my favorite christmas albums of all time.

Frances said...

LOL! I had a boombox forevs but I only ever bought one real tape for it. It was Mariah Carey Butterfly. I would however, spend hours listening to the radio with a blank tape ready to hit record when my favorite song came on!

Anonymous said...

i can't really remember my first cds. i know i was definitely into the grunge in middle school (nirvana, pearl jam, bush, smashing pumpkins, etc). but i also loved me some girl jams. always be my baby is probably my favorite mariah song. and i loved en vogue fa sho.

it is crazy how well i remember all these songs if i hear them today!

Rissy said...

ahhh love this throwback post! Umm let's see... my first tapes were Madonna and Gloria Estefan ! oh I loved those women... still do!


CarissaExplainsItAll

Hannah, Here! said...

The first CD I ever got was BSB Millenium. The first CD I ever bought was Nysnc No Strings Attached. I love Mariah Carey. Now I have Dreamlover stuck in my head and it's amazing.

AmandaG said...

One Christmas I got my own CD player along with Boyz II Men and Alanis Morisette CD's. I played them non-stop. For reals.

Hikari said...

My first CD ever was the Cranberries CD because I was obsessed with their song "Zombie". ha. Those were such good times :)

Hikari said...

My first CD ever was the Cranberries CD because I was obsessed with their song "Zombie". ha. Those were such good times :)

Brooke said...

Well my first was a TAPE not a CD (lol), and I had Whitney Houston's "I will always love you," - bodyguard duh! I don't know how many times I rewound that tape on my hot pink Barbie boom box! Ha! My how the times have changed!
xo,
Brooke

Charleigh said...

Definitely some Mariah Carey was my first tape. And I clearly remember an Ace of Base tape. My first CD was Alanis Morisette. AND I remember saving up to buy myself a Hanson CD. LOL!

Mandy @ In the Fashion Lane said...

Oh my...I was laughing so hard remembering using boom boxes. I would always try to record songs from the radio and would perfect the time so I didn't get the DJ's voice. I am pretty sure my first tape that I bought was Madonna's 'Immaculate Collection'. Or it was a church tape like Psalty or something. HAHAHA. Thanks for making me nostalgic!

Anonymous said...

Some of my first tapes:

Debbie Gibson - Electric Youth
Sweet Sensations
New Kids on the Block
Wild Orchid (fergie's first group)

Jill @ Bluegrass Belle said...

Mariah Carey was my first CD! The same one you got here. I too received a boombox and 5 CDs. The only one I remember however was Mariah....I burned it up, haha!

sepatuholig-Grace Njio said...

I love MC and Whitney of course!!!!
http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

I had that Maraih CD too! (Probably copied you) I think my technically 1st cd was Queen's greatest hits. Funny story, I just donated my first boom box this year! It was still working, crazy.