Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Recent Beauty Buys

These past couple of months I haven't really bought anything to really call it a "haul". Just a few things here and there. We've just been trying to save every penny for a house. We've been looking for a home since February, but no luck yet. The great thing about not finding something right away is that we can save even more. Now, we're getting fidgety though and hope to find our first home at least by the end of the year. Anyhoo...I did pick up some new things this past weekend.

I've been on the hunt for a good bronzer for some time now. I just can't find one I really enjoy. Then I saw a review over at Makeup and Beauty Blog for NYX new bronzers and was really interested. It's a matte bronzer (they come in shimmer too) and have three shades to choose from (Light, Medium, Deep). I swear the medium is not as dark as it looks above. Plus, at ULTA they had samples that you could try to find the shade that works best for you. What I want most in a bronzer is a matte shade that will look natural. This seems to fit the bill, I'll report back though!

Have any of you tried NYX brand? What do you like, what should I try and what should I avoid? I never have, I was interested in their lipsticks, but ULTA was out of all the ones I was interested in. Poo poo.

I've used TRESemme products for years, they're really light weight and don't leave much build up. I saw this at Target and scooped it right up. The summer heat combined with my 2x a week hair washing ritual has been leaving my hair a bit dry and frizzy. I thought this might be similar to the Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum, which I've used for years, but the TRESemme is a fraction of the cost. This product is supposed to calm and smooth frizz while also detangling and conditioning hair. I'm sold. So far I really like it, but will also review soon.

To add to my ridiculous nail collection, I wanted a summer orange. Again, this image is not totally true to color. If you Google the shade you can find really great swatches, but I didn't have time to contact the people for permission to use their photos, sorry! Here's a link for a great swatch though. I first had planned on getting Essie's Fear or Desire from their Summer 2012 collection (see that swatch here), and this is an EXACT dupe! For reals, I had swatched them side by side and couldn't tell a difference. Whatsoever.

Ulta had Maybelline's Great Lash varieties for $1.99!! I scooped up two! I've used this mascara for a while now, I really love the wand. As some of you may remember, I've been on the hunt for a good mascara. I rarely use this one alone, but always combine it with my mascara of the month club (I've been switching so often). The cone shaped brush really helps you get the small lashes and makes your lashes super long. It kind of gives you the spiky mod look which I really like. This is perfect paired with a full mascara because it really accentuates your lash length.

Now, I didn't buy this, but I'm SO intrigued. Have any of you tried this curling iron? I've seen it a lot in magazines and have been interested in it for over a year, but I first saw it this last week in Target. I wonder how your curls would look.

What have you been picking up lately? Any new summer items?

8 comments :

Schnelle said...

I love NYX but I've never tried their bronzer. I really like their lipsticks and their eyeshadows aren't too bad either. I also love their concealer.

According to Jax said...

That curler looks crazy!! I'm very curious about how it makes your hair look. Please get it!!! :)

Chelsea said...

I've found some of my favorite beauty products through your reviews so I just love whenever you post new products!

I'm a pretty big fan of NYX. I think they have a great selection and Ulta usually has their items on sale which is always good! I like their Mega Shine lip gloss (so many colors!) and I've also been using their Retractable Eye Liner which goes on very smooth! Can't wait to try more products.

I'm also curious to know whether the wave creator is any good. Sometimes those products look and sound great but your hair ends up looking all crinkled.

cheryl denise said...

ooooh, i'm interested in that curling iron too...i wonder how it turns out!

a peek of chic

KRISTIN said...

I need a good recommendation for eye-liner! Mine is out and I am SO sick of the kind I've been using. Any ideas?

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

I'm also very interested in that curling iron! Hopefully it can make those of us who are dunces at curling our own hair better at it :-p

Raquel said...

I really love NYX. They have great and affordable products. I really like their jumbo eyeshadow pencils. I might have to try that matte bronzer!

Mandy @ In the Fashion Lane said...

I have not seen or heard anything about that waver but I love the idea! Let me know if you find out anything about it!