Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Product Review: Maybelline SuperStay 14hr Lipstick


As many of you know, I've been tipping my toes into different lipsticks (you can see some of my reviews here, here, here, and a video of my fave lip products here) and had to try this new lipstick by Maybelline. The magazine ads are so beautiful, and I loved the model's lip color- a fun bright fuchsia pink. I tracked down the color in the ad and searched several stores before I found the color. If it was sold out everywhere, it had to be a goodie right?

Maybelline SuperStay Lipstick in Eternal Rose

 
My swatch of the shade
 
From their site:
• Stays fresh, light, and comfortable
• Super rich color that lasts for 14 hours
• No drying

Pros: 
• Rich, vibrant matte color
• Fades evenly

Cons:
• Definitely doesn't last 14 hours, more like 4 with a longing stain
• Very drying
• Hard texture, doesn't just glide on your lips
• Strong fruity smell which I didn't care for. At all.

To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with this lipstick. Maybelline shocked me with how poor this product is, and their advertising was such a lie! I'm a big fan of Maybelline and couldn't believe this product belonged to them. I didn't feel that the color was true to the ad or even the container. It looks shiny in my swatch above, but it's really matte and drying. In real life, it looked much darker on my lips than I expected, even when using a foundation to get a more true hue. It's hard to put on and drags your lips a bit when applying. I will not ever purchase this again or even this brand's lipstick. I'll be sticking with Revlon all the way for my store brands.

Have you tried this lipstick? Did you have better luck?

10 comments :

Schnelle said...

So sorry to hear it didn't live up to your expectations- I hate when I get all excited to try something and it disappoints. I'm a huge fan of NYX lipsticks. I have one Nars lipstick but all the rest are NYX, they're worth a try!

Frances said...

Aw that sucks. I was just looking at that lipstick yesterday and thinking how pretty it was. I will not be purchasing after your review. Major bummer for you though.

Ashley said...

I have been using Revlon products a TON lately, and love them. The glosses, the lipstains and the lipsticks....love them!

Anonymous said...

i have a long list of things to buy in the US...thank you for removing this one for me ;)

Anonymous said...

That's a shame because I have been really loving the stuff they've been coming out with. Oh well, they can't be perfect.

Chelsea Mac said...

I haven't tried the lipstick and I can't say that I think I will now. Too bad b/c the colors look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

the drying is what kills me. I like the baby lips ( obvi its not a lipstick) but some of the colors are substantial for something that is really just a chapstick!

Sarah said...

so glad you did this review...I had been debating buying this..the colors just looked so gorgeous but glad I didn't buy it and not like it. what is your suggestion for something similar to this in color?

BuggaBoosMomma said...

Love love love Revlon Colorburst lip butter! Great vibrant colors, feels like chap stuck, moisturizing!I never wear lipstick cuz I hate the feeling but, I will wear this brand!

BuggaBoosMomma said...

Chapstick....my phone is wigging out!