Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Sister Tried It: Feather Hair Extensions

**Holy freaking cow. Photobucket has been down for over a day now and I can finally post**


My sister is pretty hip. No, seriously. She's even kind of a hippie and I love it. She recently got spring's new trend of feather hair extensions and I'm totally jealous! (You may remember Pretty Little Liar's feather earring post here) This wedding is putting a damper on some of my beauty ideas, but alas I can live vicariously through my Sister K.

Here's some pics of her awesome feather weave and below a short interview:

This is us at my bachelorette party, you can see the colored feathers just barely on her left side.
They blend in really well.

 
Close- ups via cell phone

Where did you get it done at?
Hair Play in San Diego, CA by Tara Julian


What was the cost?
$25 per bundle (5 feathers)

How long does it last?
Up to 3 months


What colors were available?
At this time, only rooster feathers were available (white, yellow, orange, brown) but typically a variety of colors are available.

What did you get?
One bundle of rooster feathers (white, yellow, orange and brown) towards the top of my head. You can get more done at different places to frame your face and stand out more.

Is it difficult to maintain?
Not at all. You have to be careful brushing your hair. It isn't as high-maintenance as I thought it would be.


Would you do it again?
Yes

What are the pros/cons?
Cons
The colors don't match every outfit

Pros: 
A fun new way to mix up your hair style
You can wash/curl/blowdry/straighten it like regular hair
They're real feathers and not synthetic
The variety of colors to chose from so you can be bolder or have it blend in more
Easy to hide where it's attached


Any advice?
Call the salon in advance about what colors are available, what comes in a bundle or if they're individual, if you can choose what colors come in a bundle, and the cost since it varies.

Thanks sis! What do you ladies think? Is this trending in your area? The sis says it's everywhere in SD. Have you tried this yet?

10 comments :

Miss Chelsea said...

Aw your pictures aren't showing up!! I wanted to see!

Anonymous said...

soooo excited to see these when the photos work!!!

shay said...

i LOVE the feather trend!

i can't see the photos, but i'm sure they look like mine. i got my feathers about 2 weeks ago and absolutely LOVE them... i kind of want a few more (mine were $35 a pop for 4 feathers at a salon in Jersey)

See my blog post on them here:
http://shayssilverlinings.blogspot.com/2011/04/feather-fun.html

Mandy @ In the Fashion Lane said...

I love the trend. Have not gotten a chance to try it out but I plan too! I love the hippy look and think it is something fun without being extreme.

Xoxo,
Mandy

Anonymous said...

i think its so cute! me and sara were just talking about it. but i kinda cant do it in corporate america when im trying to interview for jobs :(

Hikari said...

I see these everywhere. I saw glitterstrands that looked kind of cool too, not too over the top. I definitely want some feathers.

Nado Queenie said...

I Love this trend & want it so bad! I'm kind of thinking I'm too old for this LOL

Alison Kinsey said...

your sis is soo lucky to be living in SD! i adore it there. her feather extensions look really good. i didn't really know what these were all about until i read your post. they look cool but i don't think i'd get them for myself!

Annie @ Originate and Renovate said...

LOVE! I would totally do this if my hair wasn't so short. I think it would probably just look something like a rat tail :)

Anonymous said...

This content deserves to be applauded as it succeeds in making us trust as it really is. I follow quite a few blogs but I have never visited such an astounding post earlier. Honestly speaking I cherish following your work as it gives me inspiration.And yes i have book mark your site lovelipstickandpearls.blogspot.com .