Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I Tried It: Red Lipstick

I've had this picture hung up on my inspiration board for a while and the Fiance has been digging how I look with lipstick on so I was on the hunt for a nice red one. So I used Maybelline's website tool Color Sensational Shade Finder to help find a good shade for myself. Have you ever used their tool before? It's so fun!

You put in your skin tone and if there's a specific shade of lipstick you're looking for; pinks, naturals, plums, reds or pearls and it automatically uploads lipsticks colors for you on the right. You don't have to pick just one shade either but look for all the shades or just a few. Then you choose items that characterize you like a strand of pearls, heels, a flower, glass of wine etc. to further narrow down your colors. I changed my items a few times and then went with the color that came up most often.

 Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick - Red Revival
Dun, dun, dun. The winner is Maybelline Color Sensational in Red Revival.


It's a matte color and I topped it with Victoria Secret Beauty Rush clear lipgloss. Wearing red lipstick is so bold. I literally expected every person I saw comment about it, but naturally only my closest friends had anything to say. It made me feel like a bombshell or at minimum a MAC beauty artist since I wore an all black outfit with it.

The only downside to the red shade is that you have to be so careful applying the color to get it just right because you don't want it to smear and since it's so bold it really shows off the shape of your lips. You also have to reapply it a few times since it does wear off from talking and drinking. I expected it to be a bigger pain in my rear than it was, but I don't know if I could go everyday rocking it since I was so conscious of my lips and whether or not I need to reapply or if it had smeared across my face.

Overall it was such a fun experience. I know that may sound lame because all I did was wear bright lipstick, but it's true! I've only worn bright pinks or nudes before so this was a whole new ball game. It was fun to change up my make-up and not just my eye make-up, which is what I primarily focus on.


For my make-up, I took a few hints from Olivia Wilde's beauty look above and wore a simple shimmery nude color on my lids, black liner all around my eye, a gold highlighter in a C shape on the top of my cheeks and outer eye area and two coats mascara. For my lips I put foundation as a primer for the color, then carefully applied the lipstick straight from the tube. I've read before that a lipbrush is easier to apply color and I tried it that way, but it was more of a pain than just being careful. After it was applied, I blotted a few times and topped it with gloss.

How do you like it? Have you worn red lips before? Have you tried any bright colors?

13 comments :

Tiffany said...

I've always wanted to try red lipstick (or for me any lipstick) I normally go bare or very natural gloss. I like it on you, but I do think it is more of a going out type look?!

the girl in the red shoes said...

I haven't tried red lips before but now I might have to! It looks great!

Anonymous said...

oh i love! i agree, i hate how often i have to reapply..i did it at work the other day and it just wasnt fun..nights out only!

Unknown said...

Love it. Red is my favorite. And us blondes pull it off so well ;)

Kayla said...

I think you did great with the red lipstick. I always feel like it makes me look like a cartoon character despite getting compliments. Maybe I just haven't found my perfect shade of red.

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

-Sam I Am- said...

yes yes yes!!!
I tried the red about a month ago and got lits of positive feedback! Mostly because I think my lips are soooo tini-tiny and the red made them a touch more noticeable I guess? I'm not sure, either way though, I think you look LOVELY!

Kerr said...

I think you look great! I have never tried red before but I want to now.

Kristen said...

Tiffany & Danielle- Yes, for nights out only! It's too much trouble to both with it everyday.

Kayla- I know what you mean! it's so bright and it feels shocking to wear it. Try the Maybelline website to find a good shade, i thought it was helpful.

Sam- Thank you! I bet you looked gorgeous in red lips!

Leah said...

I love your color! It looks stunning on you! I swear you do makeup to perfection!

Luvs!

Ashley J said...

Sexy momma!!! Liking those red lips...

http://www.afashionfixation.blogspot.com

Lilly Style said...

Red lips look great on you!
I've always wanted to try red but I don't think I'm brave enough to try any bold colors, at least not in public. So I stick to nude/natural colors.

Nado Queenie said...

I don't have the balls to wear red lipstick...way out of my comfort zone but you can totally wear it!!!

PearlsAndGreenTea said...

I'm also terrified of red lipstick! To be completely honest, I like the way you look better with your neutral lips in your other pics. But, it's still a fun look for once in awhile. I wish I had the guts to try it someday..

jiye
http://pearlsandgreentea.blogspot.com/