Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Product Review: Maybelline Mascara Showdown

I'm a HUGE Maybelline mascara fan and have been wearing their brand of mascara since high school. I'll try different mascaras, but always usually within the Maybelline brand. My go-to for years was the Maybelline Full and Soft paired with Maybelline Great Lash. For the past few months I've been using the Maybelline Colossal Volum Express mascara and have loved it, but wanted to try the Volum Express the Falsies. I thought I'd road test each to see if there was one that's superior to the other and give you guys some pics.

Here I am naked with no mascara, but with my lashes curled:

 
From their website, the mascara offers:
-Creates 9X the volume, instantly.
-Patented MegaBrush + Collagen Formula plump lashes one by one
-Dramatic Volume with no clumps
-Washable

My Review:
-I do love this mascara, it's easy to build volume, one or two coats is enough drama for me and looks great when paired with eyeliner and shadow to create the look of a lot of lashes.
-I don't think it gives me "9X the volume", but it does give lush lashes, especially to the smaller lashes at the inner corner of your eye and your bottom lashes.
-The brush is really full and easy to use.
-My only con would be that it's kind of dry and if you curl your lashes midday you will get flecks of mascara on your face. I only notice this though when I re-curl and not through out the day.
-It gives really full lashes, but doesn't lengthen them



With Maybelline Volum' Express the Falsies Mascara:
 
From their website, the mascara offers:
-Patented Spoon brush and Kera-fiber formula instantly build 8x more volume without clumping.
-Unique flexible wand helps to lift and separate lashes to provide the look of 300% more lashes.
-Ophthalmologist tested
-Contact lens safe

My review:
- I really love the brush! It's bendy, but not ridiculous that you get mascara everywhere, but that it coats your lashes more evenly.
-You can use either side of the brush and get different results, I like to use the curved side first then flip it and use the flat side afterwards on the tips. I've read a lot of other blog reviews and it seems pretty split on which side people prefer.
-The mascara really fans out and separates the lashes
-This formula doesn't seem to be as dry halfway through my day like the Colossal Volum
-My only con is that it doesn't make my lashes fuller, just to appear longer. I do love how long they looked though.

Here are my lashes with the two mascaras combined, one for fullness and the other for length, although I don't really notice a big difference when I use them both together:


Overall, I would recommend these mascaras to everyone. I'm really happy with how they turn out and both look great with a done up eye. Plus, for $6 or less you can't really beat that!

What mascara do you use? What's your favorite drug store find?

7 comments :

LindseyEveryday said...

I've been waiting for my Mascara to run out so I can trie the Falsies. Glad it worked so well for you!!

lindseyl0ve.blogspot.com

Brittany said...

You have such great eyes! with our without mascara you are fabulous!

Lyndsy said...

I have been wanting to try it and am just waiting for my mascara to run out. It looks like it does a fabulous job!

Kerr said...

good to know. I am planning on trying these out soon. thanks!

Jessica said...

Thanks for the reviews - I have tried the first one and was interested in the second. My new favorite mascara is Loreal Voluminous but I am always on the lookout for the latest/greatest :) PS your eyes are soooo beautiful! I'm jealous!

Nado Queenie said...

I like them both combined! I've always used the o.g. Pink & Green bottled mascara, love it!

Tiffany said...

I've been waiting to try one or the other, glad that you did the review for us, but I'm still just as torn! I think the top looks more natural and the Falsies looks more done up, per say....Definitely jealous of your lashes!