Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cozy Up Event at Marshalls- Off Price Retailing

Last Tuesday, I attended an event with other Los Angeles Fashion Bloggers for the a Behind the Seams at Marshalls. It was so much fun and I met some other bloggers which was very neat! Hi Cari, Julie, Cathi and Carly!


While there I learned a lot about Marshall's and off price retailing. Off price retailers like TJ Maxx and Marshalls can buy throughout the year, unlike department stores that buy only a few times a year for a particular season. Marshall's buyers are on the road 40 weeks a year for products year round and provide a 20-60% discount. With this process, 95% of their stock is the same that can be found currently in department stores.  Marshalls deals with 12,000 vendors in 60-70 countries to bring merchandise that are quality items that are on-trend and in season. Marshalls deals with 12,000 vendors in 60-70 countries! Insane.


The outfit on the left was found at Marshalls while the exact same outfit on the right was found at different department stores. Example; the jeans are JBrand that was purchased in a department store for $158, but you can buy the exact same ones at Marshall's for $79.99!! What a steal!


The reason off price retailers can provide such a discounted price to consumers is because when a department store buys from a brand, that brand has to buyback what doesn't sell. When Marshall's buys from a brand, it's a sure sale and the brand will not have to buy it back. So Marshalls and the brand negotiate a price for the merchandise. Every Marshalls gets 10,000 items shipped to them each week! Isn't that incredible? Check out their back room:


 


Marshalls had some really great brands available too! While I was shopping around I found Michaels Kors, JBrand, Diesel, Calvin Klein, Juicy Couture for a great price. Marshalls has a killer shoe section too. Here's some cute boots they had on display:
These babies are Michael Kors, but they didn't have my size. Or I'd be wearing them right now.

Here is Allison Deyette, a style expert you may have seen on The View, The Today Show, Oprah and What Not to Wear. She was a lot of fun and had a ton of information. She often shops at Marshalls and had lots of great stores of treasures she'd found here. Check out her website here.

I asked her a few questions about this fall season and I wanted to share her answers with you:

-What trend are you looking forward to the most?
           Platform pumps, dresses, and a fitted jacket- but not a blazer, like a trench.

-What trend is easiest to wear?
           She didn't have an answer, but said the over the knee boots are the hardest and not for everyone.

- What one piece should women buy this season?
           A good versatile piece, a v-neck cashmere sweater. Not in black though, but a rich tone.

-What trends should we keep from last year?
           Lace, ruffles, versions of cargos, peep toe patent shoes, and white jeans.

It was a wonderful event and I really enjoyed myself! All of the guests received a little gift of a striped cashmere infinity scarf- I can't wait to wear it! Each attendant receive a $100 gift card to purchase items to mix into their wardrobe, so be on the lookout for some great OOTDs!

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

I wish my Marshall's had good stuff like that. The one by my house is terrible! It never has anything so I live at Nordstroms Rack!

Leah said...

Oh how fun!!! Those black strapy boots are adorable!!!!

Luvs!

Anonymous said...

fun fun!

J. said...

That Marshalls is great! Mine has some great finds and I always love stopping in there.

Jessica said...

I LOVE Marshalls and TJMaxx!! Wish I lived in Cali and could attend fun events like that. :)

Nado Queenie said...

How fun! So happy you got to go to a great event!

Jen said...

I was just at the downtown Chicago Marshalls and they had Gucci shoes!! They were still pretty spendy ($399) but I was so excited to see them that I just had to try on a few pairs!

Silvina said...

What shoes are you wearing in the picture with you and Allison? They're really cute!

Carly J. Cais said...

Awesome post!
I love your interview with Allison Deyette - I can't believe that I hadn't heard of her up until the event, because she has such an impressive resume and really knows what she's talking about!!
And I definitely share your pain re: sizing issues! Since there's no Marshall's near where I live (just TJ Maxx) I knew I had to use that gift card on the day of the event - and it took me about 2 hours to weed things out! They had a really good selection in the right sizes, but the TJ Maxx near me has more hit-and-miss pieces...

Anyway, thanks for your comment!
And loved your write-up on Glee - since I don't watch it I'm now super-curious re: the Britney episode!
xoxox
Carly

www.chic-steals.com