Thursday, August 5, 2010

Wedding Post: Dresses

This weekend, I'll be going to check out dresses with some of my family, soon to be in-laws and friends. I'm so stoked! I've already tried on a few dresses already to get an idea of what I want (and to scope out a sale at a local store).


Since I was young, I've ALWAYS pictured myself in a short dress. Yep, at the ripe old age of 9 I just knew my dress would be short. Aaaaand with a casual backyard wedding a short dress is perfectly fitting. My biggest concern here is that it would look trendy for this time or when I look back in 20+ years I will wish I went with a traditionally long gown. If I were to go with a long dress, I would want it to be flowy on the bottom and not a ball gown skirt. I've also thought about having a long dress for the ceremony and a short one for the reception, if I were to find both dresses and still stay within my budget ($700). However, I'm willing to try any and all styles on because you just never really know. Never say never right? My only must-haves for a dress are as follows: a strapless, sweetheart neckline, beading only at the top- either my bust or waistline.


*Please keep in mind that dresses on a model vs me will look different, will be accessorized differently, etc so keep an open mind about what the dress "could be"*


Here are some of my favorite designer short dresses





Here are some of my favorite designer long dresses, yes I know that some of them are not necessarily flowy on the bottom, but I still love the drama of these skirts. Also, I do want my dress to be appropriate with my theme and location, but since I'm the bride- can't I wear what my heart desires (as long as it's not too over the top)?



Here are some celeb dresses, I WON'T be looking for inspiration from:



Look, I know it was the 80s and 90s, but come on. Mariah's poofy sleeves, ridiculously long veil, and a gigantic bouquet? There is such a thing as too much of a good thing sister! Celine, I guess I can let it slide since you and your spouse are "foreigners", jk! A headpiece like that is not good in any decade woman, oh and I love the bottom of your sleeves! Courtney, Courtney, Courtney, where was your BFF Jen to help you pick out a dress? Princess Di, my family and I loved you, but there's never a reason to drown in fabric.


Ok, not that I necessarily care for the first two of these brides, but you must give credit where it's due right?

Avril's dress and overall look shocked me, only because this is not what I envisioned she would choose. I love all of her style on this day; her hair, veil, dress, all of it! Heidi kept it classy on her big day and didn't go with any of her usual clothing choices. Love her entire look too (except for her choice in the groom) down to the multiple strand necklaces and bracelets. Ivanka can do no wrong with fashion. She's looks stunning from head to toe here and I bet I'll sitll think so 25 years from now. Cindy is also looking gorg in a casual short dress and it's already been a decade or so since this picture! All of these ladies look so classic, elegant, and gorgeous! This is what I envision for myself for my wedding day, whether I'm wearing a short or long dress.

Honestly, whenever I browse websites for wedding ideas, be it Southern Weddings, Style Me Pretty, or The Knot, I seriously love so many different styles of weddings that there's not a single solitary one that's perfect for you, but I could find several perfect dresses just depending on what I want to look like and what will fit with the theme and location of my wedding. Is that how you ladies felt?What do you ladies (and any gents out there who peruse my blog) think? What's your take on short vs long? What did you wear on you big day and do you have any regrets?

11 comments :

Anonymous said...

ok who are the designers for the 4th and 5th pictures? the more i see that feathery look the more i like it.

Jessica said...

Ahhhh I LOVE wedding dresses! It took me for-ev-er to pick mine out, and like a month later I called off the wedding! ha!

I personally like the Grecian style gown. I think its the 5th and 6th picture? Anyway...its pretty and elegant and I think it could work for your setting. But you will be a STUNNING bride no matter which dress you choose! :)

Anonymous said...

i am like you and loved so many different styles that it was overwhelming to choose just ONE dress. (well, 2 actually, i changed into something more casual for the reception). i really loved the all lace look, but when the image that always came to my mind when i thought about getting married was a plain fitted dress with a sweetheart neckline and buttons down the back. SO...that is what i ended up with. i'm going to find you on facebook so you can check out some of my wedding pics there! good luck with this. it was my favorite part of wedding planning and once you buy it...it's over!

Anonymous said...

I know for sure you'll look gorgeous in whatever you choose! I think long is more "bridal" and will give you that feeling of being a bride. But, short dresses are much more popular now and would fit nicely with the style of your wedding. It's smart that you're open-minded and willing to try anything....it will make it easier to find "the one" without all those restrictions and requirements! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Kerr said...

I really like the short one in the second picture. I think a short dress is great for a casual outdoor wedding but you could also go long. It is your day and whatever you feel fantastic in you should wear!

Taylor said...

I was jsut married a MONTH ago, and I wore a short dress, off the rack and LOVED it from the moment I tried it on. However if you read my blog, you will know about 5 days before I had a dress dilemma, I all of a sudden thought I needed a long dress. After a few breakdowns and frantic phone calls later I stuck to my initial decision and wore my short one. AND I LOVED IT! I love the pictures of it and still felt very much a bride. I even wore a short veil, which really capped the whole feeling of a bride to me! (I have a GREAT resource for CHEAP veils, if you are interested let me know! Like 15 bucks with shipping cheap! - check my photos you CANNOT tell, looks exactly like the 300$ one I tried at a bridal store!)

So I understand how you are feeling. (Side note, a lot of women in the 50's wore shorter simple dresses - so I think looking back in many years you will not regret it!) I did go and try on huge fancy long gowns for fun, however looking back they weren't me or the feel I wanted on my wedding day.

I know you will end up with what truly speaks to you! Bon Chance!

And don't forget to look at non-wedding dresses in white or ivory - mine was off the rack from BCBG.

xx-T

Anonymous said...

ohh i like the short!

J. said...

I think a short dress would be fun! You're wedding is about you and what you make it!

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

Kristen said...

First, I just want to say thank you to EVERYONE for all the comments and support! These dresses are gorgeous, but WAY out of my budget, but the styles I'm looking for.

Erin- I'm not too sure, I can find where I found it from for you if you want.

Jessica- I can't believe you called it off, you are SO strong!! I love the grecian dresses too, the one that's my top pick right now is grecian style.

Reed- Find me! I'd love to see your pictures...and be your FB friend! I've thought about wearing two dresses, but idk if it would be worth it for my event bc our ceremony is at the same place and will only last like 20 minutes.

Kristin, Kerrm Sweet Nothings, & Jammer- Thanks so much, you're such dolls! :)

Taylor- That's for sharing with me, that's exactly how i'm feeling now. You're dress was gorg, I loved your whole wedding! Definitely let me know about the veils!! I couldn't even make it myself for that price! I love the style in the 50s, which is why I always wanted a shorter dress, but it's still kind of scary. I'm keeping my mind open to EVERYTHING and will try anything on.

Nado Queenie said...

Love, Love, Love the Idea of the Long dress for Ceremony & Short dress for the reception! I honestly think you can pull off both dress for under $700 too!
DO IT!!!!

Jen said...

Oh you're engaged? How fun! Be sure to check out the weekly column I write "Wedding Wednesdays" on the Wedding Stories blog (weddingstoriesri.blogspot.com). I agree with you that I could have chosen one of MANY Dresses that I loved. I think it's crap when they say there's one dress for everyone. I thought there were tons of beautiful ones that I would have been equally as happy in! My only take on short dresses is that you MAY regret it either a) when you look back on your day or even b) at the reception when you don't stand out enough from your guests who are in similar dresses (just not white) but totally just my opinion. I'm all about standing out and doing something unique on your wedding day so the more power to you! I wore a dress probably fancier than I would have ever expected! And you know what? Maybe when I'm older, I'll look at it and think "WHAT was I thinking?" Dunno!

PS Courtney Cox...WHAT were you thinking!?