Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hair How-To

One of the top questions/comments/emails I get most is for my hair when I wear it curled. Thank you everyone for all of your compliments and inquiries, I appreciate each one of them, they really make my day!
I'm pretty lucky in the hair department (God gave me good hair I guess instead of a naturally flat stomach- I'll take what I can get!) in that my hair is easy to manage and holds a curl really well. I have "normal" thick hair, but it's very fine so I can get great volume on my hair because it's not weighed down, but sometimes I have a difficulty with getting a thicker braid or more fullness so I sometimes wear 2-3 tracks of extensions to help me out. I also wash and blow-dry my hair every 3-4 days depending on how it looks. My hair isn't oily so on the days I have to go an extra day I use Tresemme Freshstart Dry Shampoo (see a review here). I also use a deep conditioner every other week.
Photobucket


First I blow-dry my hair completely and sometimes use 2-4 velcro rollers at my crown:
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Then I part my hair in layers going from the bottom up- I roughly separate it at my ears and below, then the end of my eyebrows, temple, then the remaining hair- and use a totally 80s scrunchie to separate because I've found that the scrunchie leaves less of a "dent" on my hair then a claw clip, but whatever works for you. I then use a 1 1/4 inch curling iron and curl from the TOP DOWN (vs bottom up), this is very important because it gives you body at the root and middle part of your hair instead of just the ends. It also curls your hair completely instead of just the tips. Curling your hair this way makes a significant difference in how long your curls will last. A few people I've done their hair for have started curling their hair this way instead of the bottom up and have told me what a difference it's made for them.


Ok, so start at the top 1 1/2 to 2 inches with the curling iron and curl up leaving the ends loose and out of the curling iron's clasp. Hold for a few seconds (I do 10 second when I have the time and I'm going out).  I like to curl my hair so it curls away from my face on each side, I think it helps minimize the chubiness of my cheeks, and I like that 70's type vibe a lot. Depending on what works best for your hair you can use hairspray before or after each curl. I hold my curling iron barrel vertically, but holding horizontally gives a slightly different look for the curl that also looks really cute.
Photobucket



Then release the clasp and slide down to the middle section of your hair and curl all the way up leaving just the ends loose. Hold a few seconds.
PhotobucketPhotobucket


Finally, slide the barrell all the way down to the ends and curl up to the root. Hold a few seconds.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

After I have my entire head curled, I spray it with hairspray and wait a few minutes to let the curls "set". Your hair sets not just with heat, but how it cools.

Sidenote: If you hair doesn't hold a curl well or you need the curls to last longer than usual, try curling your hair and the pinning it at the roots. At this point, you will look like curly sue!
Photobucket

Once your hair is ready, rake your fingers through your hair to break up the curls. Then style as desired, I tease my crown (using Velcro rollers helps to get even more height) and the front sides. Hairspray again and you're ready to go!


Here's how it looks with all my own hair:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Here's how it looks with 2-3 tracks of extensions. I use the same method of curling for the extensions, but curl them before putting them in because I find it's easier:
Photobucket

How was this little tutorial? Was I clear on how to do it? Did you find it helpful?
How do you curl your hair? Do you wear your hair curled often?

15 comments :

Anonymous said...

Your hair is so dreamy!
I've probably asked you before, but what kind of extensions do you use? I really want to get some b/c I have fine, thinnish hair and it could really use some extra volume, especially when it is long.

The tutorial was great. I could follow it easily and I love having lots of pics of each step!

Jen said...

Love this tutorial thanks so much! Very easy to follow! I just wish I could curl my hair like that but it's too short:( LOL

Frances @ It's Sew My Style said...

Your hair is awesome! I used to never be able to curl my hair in the sense that as soon as I'd take the barrell out, the curl would fall flat. Now, I've found that using a curling gel and curling the hair around the barrell from the top down, makes a huge difference. My hair will stay curly for 3-4 days!

Leah said...

What a great tutorial! Your hair looks amazing, I just might have to try this! Luvs sweetie!

Kristen said...

Thanks for the compliments ladies! I'm glad this post was helpful, let me know if you have any questions!

Reed- You have asked and I will get you the info soon, I promise! I kept the bag that the hair came in, I just need to find it so I can give you accurate info.

Jen- That's what extensions are for! LOL!

Frances- Curling from the top down DEFINITELY makes a HUGE difference on how long the curls last!

Amanda said...

Ah, I love your hair!! Next time I curl it (which to be honest, I have NO idea when that will be now!!) I am definitely going to try it your way (I have always curled from the bottom up!) so maybe that was my problem!! Thanks for the tips!!

Nado Queenie said...

you always have beautiful hair, even when its in a ponytail!

Coley said...

Gorrrgeous hair, lady!

And very nice tutorial :)

Jessica said...

I LOVE this post! You have gorgeous hair!!

Petite Gorgeous said...

Thank you so much for the detailed tutorial!

I am also using the products you use, and loving them.

I am giving away a J Crew bracelet at petitegorgeous.blogspot.com

Hope you will enter to win :).

Tiffany said...

YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS! Great tutorial! I currently have a bob and feel so restricted on how I can style my hair but it is so much easier than with my long hair!

April and Jason said...

love your hair! I need someone like you to spend a day with me teaching me how to style my hair, and put on makeup, and other things like that. I am soo clueless in that department! I can, however, perform a chemical evaluation of your water, lol. What do you do if you have oily hair, and have to wash it everyday? What products would you recommend?

Anonymous said...

ok, i'm going to have to try this curling from the top down thing. it looks easy, but i'll find some way to mess it up. i'll let you know how it goes.

Veronika said...

thanks so much for posting this, your hair is soooo gorgeous!!!

Heather said...

What kind of extensions do you use? Are they the clip-ins? Where did you find them?
You should def do a tutorial on how you put yours in.
I have some that I used to use from Sally's. But they do not match my hair color anymore. So I'm in the market for some new ones.